|Department||NCT Delhi Education Department|
|Download||Sample Question Paper|
Delhi Class 12 English Sample Question Paper
Download Delhi Education Department DoE Delhi Class 12th English Sample Question Paper 2022-23
Download Delhi Class 12th English Sample Question Paper
|Delhi Class 12 English Sample Question Paper||Download Here|
Delhi Class 12 English Sample Questions
Q 1. Read the following passage carefully:
Deserts are the driest places on earth. But even the desert animals cannot survive without water, or for long periods in the scorching sun, so they have had to find different ways of coping with the harsh conditions The animals living in deserts have to develop their capacity to adapt to the harsh climate. For instance, gerbils spend the hottest part of the day in their cool underground burrows. Similarly darkling beetles catch drops of moisture on their legs. Then they lift the legs in the air until the drops of water trickle down into their mouths. The Rocky deserts of America have ‘Rattle Snake’ which kill their prey with venom.
The snakes swallow the animal whole and hardly eat more than once a week. Larger pythons can survive for a year without eating. Some snakes also live in desert. In the rocky deserts of America is found the frightening rattler which makes a frightening rattle and can strike with a lightning speed. It avoids people if it possibly can but when threatened it coils ready to bite. Rattlers feed on a variety of prey including mice. Snakes do not eat more than once a week but some snakes such as pythons cansurvive for a year or more without eating.
The other animal found in deserts are mongooses that like to hunt together. They have to be careful of dangerous predators. Their food is beetles and other small creatures. They warn each other with a special alarm call of they see anything suspicious. All the female mongooses have their kittens at about the same time. They are raised by the whole group in a den. Mongooses are famous snake-killers. Their reactions are so fast that they can dodge each time the snake strikes. In the end the snake gets tired. Then, the mongoose quickly dives in for a kill.
Another animal that lives in the desert is the camel. They were tamed by man thousands of years ago, Camels get the water they need from desert plants. They can survive without drinking water up to ten months. A thirsty camel can drink as much as thirty gallons of water in just ten minutes. Camels are of two kinds Dromedary and Bactrian. The Dromedary camel has one hump while the Bactrian camel has two humps. These humps are full of fat which helps them to survive for many days without food and water. Their mouths are so tough that even thorns cannot pierce them.
On the basis of your understanding of the passage, Answer ten out of the eleven questions that follow:
a. What does the passage tell about deserts and desert animals?
b. Why do Mongooses like to hunt together? (MID TERM EXAM)
c. Identify the reason for the mongooses being famous snake killers.
d. Cite a point of evidence from the passage to suggest that the fear induced by rattle snake is justified.
e. Why do all the female mongooses have their kitten at about the same time?
1. When the females are out looking for food, males stay behind to stand guard.
2. They are raised by the whole group in a den
3. Mongooses like to hunt together, but they always keep a lookout for dangerous predators
4. They are afraid of being killed by the snakes.
f. What makes camel well adapted to live in desert?
1. Camels were first domesticated by man many thousands of years ago.
2. They can survive without drinking water up to ten months.
3. If they have nothing to eat for several days, their humps shrink.
4. Their mouths are so tough that the sharp thorn can pierce through.
g. What common features can you find in all desert animals?
1. They can all adapt to cool climate.
2. They can all live without food for a long time.
3. They are all carnivorous animals.
4. They do not need food or water to survive.
h. Camels are of two kinds. How do you differentiate between them?
1. The Dromedary camel has one hump and the Bactrian camel also has one hump.
2. The Dromedary camel has one hump while the Bactrian camel has two humps.
3. The Dromedary camel has two humps while the Bactrian camel has one hump.
4. There is no difference between the two kinds.
i. Find word from the passage which mean the opposite of the word ‘attacker’
j. Find word from the passage which mean the same as the word ‘cautious’
Have a question? Please feel free to reach out by leaving a comment below